Supplier Quality Engineer
Collaboration drives Nordson’s success as a market leader in Industrial Precision Solutions and Advanced Technology. Our employees thrive in an environment where we help each other reach our personal best and enable our company to continuously improve and grow, and our customers to succeed. You will find Nordson employees sharing our success by giving back in the communities around the world where we live and work.
Nordson Adhesive Dispensing Systems (ADS) sets the global standard in hot melt machines and dispensing, coating, and laminating systems. Manufacturers rely on our equipment for packaging, product assembly and surface treatment applications. With a leading services and support network, we help our customers worldwide increase manufacturing efficiencies and produce the highest quality products.
The Supplier Quality Engineer is responsible for driving exceptional supplier performance thus creating a world-class supply base that exceeds expectations for the business group and the global Supply Chain team. Specific focus will be supplier analysis, development activities, technical support, part qualifications, improvement activities, corrective actions, and new product introductions to ensure component parts and assemblies are consistently manufactured in total compliance to specified requirements. Simultaneously and in conjunction with the Strategic Purchasing Group this position will support the balanced improvement of quality, cost, and service, all while operating within Nordson’s Lean manufacturing principals.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Track the supplier’s performance indicators, based on their scorecards and rankings, to facilitate and develop the supply base’s ability to consistently meet or exceed our defined expectations. Improve Supplier Quality metrics
- Routinely provide performance communication to the supply base and internal personnel to ensure the proper use of suppliers based on performance.
- Develop the supplier’s ability to support Nordson’s Lean manufacturing principles and problem avoidance processes through the use of best-in-class quality, delivery, and lead-time performance processes.
- Drive a systematic problem solving and process improvement approach utilizing Lean Six Sigma principles.
- Function as a technical liaison between suppliers, engineering, SCM group, business group, and manufacturing sites, to resolve supplier related issues.
- Assure supplier’s corrective and preventive action plans are developed and executed in compliance with Nordson expectations. Report on the status of corrective actions, as required, to manufacturing, business group and executive management.
- Perform supplier on-site assessments and assistance visits for supplier selection, to improve supplier performance, and achieve Nordson’s balanced improvement objectives.
- Develop and implement (APQP) Advanced Product Quality Planning for new and existing purchase parts.
- Review supplier processes, collaborate with suppliers on process improvement, and value enhancement opportunities.
- Support and utilize the Strategic Group’s activities and direction on supplier development, risk management, reduction, and consolidation.
- Promote early supplier involvement at project development stages.
- Support and coordinate with the Business Unit’s new product activities and direction to better ensure component manufacturability, more than satisfactory and sustainable quality performance for every component, particularly critical components, during the transition from new product development to production.
- Perform Supplier Visits & Audits.
- NPD and resourcing activities: supplier selection, Create technical drawing review – 1.) CTQ w/engineering 2.) discuss expectations w/ supplier 3.) review supplier capability. Create SAP inspection plans, support part qualification process, resolve QN & obtain supplier CAR
- Manage Mfg (Internal ZV & ZA) QNs and Customer & Field (External ZF & ZW), CAR’s support
- Manage Supplier Development Watch List; coordinate and run monthly meetings with the suppliers on the watch list
- Conduct Supplier Assessments/Audits
- Participate in a Development of new suppliers
- Provide support in Supplier Reduction process
- Provide support to global purchasing team members on supplier related issues/questions.
- Act as a Quality point of contact
- Other duties as assigned
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENT
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering is required, or related field
- 2 -5 years experience in direct supplier relationship management or industrial engineering with supplier interaction required; experience in supplier quality or manufacturing quality role.
- Experience in Lean Six Sigma techniques and tools strongly preferred; Six Sigma Green Belt strongly preferred
PREFERRED SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Strong communication skills with the ability to communicate effectively at any level
- Fundamentally sound in all aspects of the function, including:
- Inspection techniques
- Control Plans
- 8D Corrective Action
- A balanced professional capable of seeing the big picture while managing the details
- Motivated by results
- Ability to manage supplier quality related projects and drive to completion with improvement
- Thrive in a team environment and work well with others as well as independently
- Ability to understand and communicate engineered drawings and specifications.
- Detail-oriented, self-starter with strong organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to develop effective processes and drive results.
- Ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines
- Ability to organize and priorities workloads.
- Ability to act on own initiative, dealing with unexpected problems that arise
- Problem solve and handle multiple tasks effectively
- Proficiency with MS Office applications: Word, PowerPoint, Excel
WORKING CONDITIONS & PHYSICAL DEMANDS
Office environment. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
#-LI-OnsiteNordson Corporation provides equal employment opportunity to all applicants and employees. No person is to be discriminated against in any aspect of the employment relationship due to race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, citizenship status, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status or any other status protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. All employment offers are contingent upon successful completion of our pre-employment drug screening and background/criminal check, consistent with applicable laws.Third party recruiters and agencies should not contact employees of Nordson or its subsidiaries directly. Any resumes sent to a hiring manager or submitted to Nordson employees are considered unsolicited and property of Nordson. Nordson will not pay a placement fee unless the agency or recruiter has a signed contract with Nordson’s Human Resources department in advance of submitting a candidate for consideration. Verbal and written approvals will not be considered a valid contract for service.